Thursday, December 17, 2009

Really Sabhumanimamyamagaga?!?

So right now I'm sitting in BKK airport (look up the full name for yourselves, it looks something like the above spelling although I added a few syllables.... but be advised that the pronunciation of the name is nothing like the spelling). I flew in from Chiang Mai. In order to enter the terminal in Chiang Mai, you go through a security screening. Then you have the full screening for regular security. Arriving here in BKK transit passengers are then herded through another full security check before being allowed into the terminal. And now they have a seperate bag inspection - by hand! - at the gate to enter the gate waiting area. Security is important, but this is flat out ridiculous.

The annoyance with this security is compounded by the fact that I had a bottle of water that I brought from within the secure area at the Chiang Mai airport, which of course I had to get rid off. You know how preoccupied I am with dehydration, so I stood at security and chugged the liter, rather than dump it. And within BKK, there is no access to water other than of the environmentally unfriendly and wallet-raping bottled variety. Add that the concessions here are expensive, and it;s not a great transit experience. Also, I walked for an hour to get to my gate, which remains closed 15 minutes before boarding is to start, with something like 50 seats to be split amongst the 200+ passengers; several hundred empty seats languish just beyond a low glass wall.

The Australien ladies next to me are discussing how many cigarettes they can bring back on their return home. This is going to be good.....

No comments: