Saturday, July 07, 2007

Getting a hang

One of the biggest differences - actually, by far the greatest difference - between my travels so far and my time here in Thailand (and from here forward) is the level of immersion in the local culture. While I am not trying to suggest that I have been "part" of the social fabric of the countries I've visited, I have enjoyed some priviledges most other backpackers didn't: I spoke the language, had studied the history, and understood some of the cultural idiosyncracies in the various places I visited in South America, and New Zealand to a lesser degree. In fact, I'd often watch other gringos suffer horribly in trying to ask for basic things, laughing hard on the inside, before helping out a few minutes later (yes, this was my revenge on all the couples travelling together, of whom I was and still am jelous). Most notably, I don't speak the language here, so beyond looking foreign, I really can't communicate with the people, either - I'm definitly a full blown farang.
However, coming to grips with this problem has been easier as I've just decided to give up any pretense of cultural, and especially linguistic, competency. Thus, I now mercilessly employ English, body language, and waving arms in my attempts to convey questions and ideas. All the while, I smile, which is really important in this country- the name means "land of smiles." While not perfect, I have found this approach can win friends also. Today I stopped off in a market where I was probably the first white person in many weeks, if not ever. I ate really spicy food (to the shock/amusement of the local vendors) and laughed along with all their jokes - despite the fact they were making fun of me, and I knew it. By the end of the meal, I was being invited to try meals at other stands - a bite here, a bite there - and a bunch of peoploeinvited me to stay and drink beer with them all night. However, I still had to drive my rental motorcycle back to town, so I only had a beer and moved on.

Tomorrow I head to Laos. Know anyone who's been there? Me neither. All the things I've experienced here in Thailand should be amplified there, and with a little luck I'll find a mosquito net at the border, too. I have no idea what the internet situation will be like, but hopefully I can keep you up to date on the goings on....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

willis, good play by play, buddy. what's in laos, exactly?

Anonymous said...

Smiling all the way to the wat?
:-) :-) :-)
xoxMom