Sunday, October 28, 2007

No, I DON'T want to see you tomorrow

So this M.Sc. is absolutely killing me. And it is doing so by overloading me with work. Yesterday another guy was talking about celebrating a real breakthrough: after a couple hours of intensive study, he cracked it! And by, it, we were talking about the notes we took in class, not some kind of difficult question we had been asked. That being said, every week we have a take-home due - for each one of our classes. So far, that probably doesn't sound too bad to you guys, right? Well, just know that each one of the 3 is roughly 10 hours (easily), and on top of that we need to read just to be able to start answering these questions, and these reading consist of pages and pages of mathematical proofs, not nice analysis or other prose that might actually be of interest. And then there are our other projects and stuff.... student life in undergrad and post-grad really couldn't have been more different for me.

So to the title of the story: leaving the graduate study room (that's right, we have our own library) last night around eight, one of the other guys in the program comes up to me as I'm bent over my books like a slave in the galleys of a roman warship and says to me - smiling, without irony, and in an almost giddy way - "awesome, I'll see you tomorrow."

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to that.
Because I love suffering for hours over a single line of matrix algebra.

No comments: