Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Blogction

Tuesday, 16 October 2007 was Blog Action Day, when bloggers all over the world teamed up to address all different aspects of a global problem: the environment. Not that i'm saying the environment is a problem, but rather its destruction and dangers facing it.
Although I didn't get around to posting yesterday due to a homework problem set I had to hand in this morning, I'm fgoing to write about it today - after all, they say it's the thought that counts. Moreover, I even got someone else to write something about the environment, although it then degenerated into dribble on diseased prostitutes.... this is why we love you QP.

Recently, my classmates have begun to criticize me for my carbon footprint. This first began after I revealed to them that i was going to London one weekend, and then heading to NYC the following Friday for my short break. If you don't know what a carbon footprint is, you most likely are American, or you just hate mother earth straight up. basically, it is the idea that each person, product or service results in CO2 emissions over time, which then compose a footprint. While my shoes are normally in the 11.5 size range, my class mates ranked my carbon print at least Shaq sized. Now, I don't think they're really earnest, I think it's more that they are taken aback by more lifestyle of bouncing from place to place - this is an Island you can drive across in 3 hours, and it only takes that long because the roads are so bad - so they're just taking a piss, really. But on the other hand, I am a someone who makes an effort to not waste and avoid harming the environment whenever I can. Here some examples:
- I avoid styrofoam whenever possible; for instance, I stop eating at places that use containers made of the material.
- I recycle whenever possible, and hate the feeling of not being able to do so in Dublin because it isn't offered in the city.
- I ride my bike, even preferring so to public transportation such as trains and buses.
- Cold showers.
- I finish my beer.
On the other hand, I can't deny that I do fly considerably more than other people do, or at least more than other non money-earning bums like myself, and as such I can't entirely deny responsibility.
So what am I to do? I'm going to be self-serving here for a moment and say that I already use less energy and have a smaller carbon footprint that just about everyone else I know in daily life, so I don't feel that bad about flying in order to see friends and family. For me, it's also a cultural thing: Many of the people I know and value come from multilingual, multicultural, and multi-locational backgrounds, so for us to live "our life" means that there will be some travel. And I don't care what anyone says, Skyping with Prachee and not seeing her for 8 months is not the same as one week together. You cannot continue preexisting relationships long distance in the same way, whether it's with family, friends, or partner. What I do think is interesting is that for businesses, travel is becoming increasingly the way to go despite the obvious ability to video conference and other communications tools.
So what is guy to do? Should I only fly with Virgin, so I can contribute to Branson's alternative fuel program? Do I simply stop flying, and none of you people see me again? Do I ignore the problem for now, wait for CO2 emissions to be included in economic cost structures, and go on as I have? Let's be honest: at under 500 dollars for a transatlantic flight (and that isn't much money anymore these days), only the most dedicated will do anything but the last of those 3 things....

OK guys, sorry about the miserable post, I'll be back soon with something more interesting.

Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I don't care how big your carbon footprint becomes as long as you continue to fly to wherever I am to see me :)
-Prach

Tim said...

glad to see your back