Monday, March 05, 2007

Oh Argentina, you're so silly

One thing about Argentina that I'd forgotten is how totally incomprehensible illogical some organizational aspects of this country are. Or rather, what lack of simple common sense underlies these administrative decisions. I was immediately confronted with two examples in the first 3 hours in the country:

You can't trade Chilean to Argentine pesos in Chaitén. I doubt you can in Futaleufú, but since the bus from Chaitén arrives after the bank closes, and the morning bus to the border goes before it opens, it wasn't possible for me, even if there is general availability. The border of course is in the middle of nowhere, and so you are dependent on the bus to get you from there to the nearest towns of Trevelin or Ezquel. However, this bus costs money, and can only be paid in local currency, which you can't get anywhere within 2 days travel of the border. Wonderful, and well thought out Argentina.

So I was able to overcome the above problem through the generosity of two other travelers (2 Israeli girls, actually). Unfortunately for both them and me, when we arrived at Ezquel, it turned out that the nearest ATM is about a km away. So I rushed off to get cash and repay them as well as buy my onward bus ticket. So with my heavy backpack, I began running down the street until I finally reached the first ATM, where there were approximately a bazillion people were standing in line to use it - a common Latin American feature, I might add. So having waited it out to use the machine, I then sprinted back to the bus station, because I had a feeling that I would miss the next bus if I didn't.

By the time I had returned to the bus station, the bus had already left. (this resulted in a 6 hour layover for me, and non-payment of my debt even though I spent part of the next day going hostel to hostel looking for the girls). So here's my question: How do two such obvious points of interest not appeal to independent ATM operators who charge a small fee? If not at the border, then at least at the bus station where people from abroad arrive? And it's not like the bus station was old and didn't have space. The thing was brand new, in gorgeous condition, and all other traveller amenities were built in, including a rather large internet cafe. But in a country where a quite a number of bus operators do not take credit/debit cards, or where the window of time between arrival and departure is designed to be small, you would quite simply expect something like an ATM, which would make so much sense.

So, Argentina: Why are you so silly?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

More! Willis, post more!

Thanks for sharing the story about illogical Chilean things. Good luck on the travelers' path.

Ben
benjamminspearsblog.blogspot.com