Sunday, March 18, 2007

¿Cuando...ahem, Wann? wait, When?

So while in Bariloche, I was walking down the street after getting some groceries, when I was thinking about something I have by now long forgotten. (this was, after all, about a month ago), when suddenly I realized I was thinking about it in Spanish.

That was pretty sweet since I had hopes of really improving my Spanish on this trip. In fact, it was a major motivation. I then thought about the last time I had spoken German or English, and realized I was on my 3rd day of Spanish only. Excellent....

I have to thank the hostel I was staying in, Bolso de Deportes. As I mentioned in my penultimate post, they are real nice and have a lot of information. Moreover, they have great kitchen facilities and comfy beds free of bugs. Most importantly, they attract a great group of people: Mainly Argentines, Chileans, as well as some Europeans (2 Italians who cooked for the whole hostel every night!), and a bunch of cool Basques, as well as friendly Spaniards like Roger. Moreover, the lingua franca of the hostel is Spanish, unlike most other hostels. Although now that I've been through all of Argentina and am in Bolivia, I have to say that the large number of Chileans travelling in Patagonia and generally in the west of the country helps tip the balance in favor Spanish as the main language in hostels, something I missed in Buenos Aires and since.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

!Felicitacion! That is quite a breakthrough, Willis. So have you started dreaming en espanol? Cindy