Thursday, January 14, 2010

Today Our Thought Go Out to You

I only heard about the massive quake in Haiti today, due to differences in the news cycle in the UK and my travel to the US yesterday. Speaking with the Jewish Palestinian today, I found him as stressed/distressed as usual, but for an entirely different reason. His flat mate and friend Greg, who studies African diaspora populations in the Americas for his Ph.D. is off the radar in Haiti. He was down there for research, and no one has heard from him since the quake, no one even knows where he was prior to the quake, whether in Port-au-Prince or the countryside.

Not that I know him all that well, but from my interactions with him I think Greg is a great guy, fantastic cook, and all-round first class act. As I told the Jewish Palestinian, Greg is probably on the front lines trying to help people, not thinking of whether his friends and family in the States are worrying about him. Here's hoping that that is the case, and he can access food and water while he assists other.

Our best wishes are with you Greg.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

best wishes for the friend, Greg, and others in harm's way in Haiti. what an intense and sad disaster.