Thursday, July 31, 2008

Today is a Good Day

..... at least as far as internet links are concerned. While the past weeks have supplied the "slouvaki made me do it" (which included an ouzo shout-out, holla) among other treasures, today's first - and greatest - find was the "best movie trailer" with Baron Davis and Steve Nash, which you can find here (Both links via TrueHoop). Let's be honest - this is hilarious. It also manages to fulfill the comedy stereotype that both Canadian and black dudes are funny. I'm now looking to the likes of Marko Jaric and Gregg Ostertag to make a move and smash that prejudice, but I'm not holding my breath.
Next comes this piece, courtesy of Snausages, that illustrates exactly why Ludacris is the best mainstream rapper: funny and poignant, his lyrics also convey a general feeling. Don't believe me? Try these lines:
Yeah I said it 'cause/
Bush is mentally handicapped/
Ball up all of his speeches/
And just throw them like candy wrap/
'cause what you talkin'/
I hear nothing even relevant/
and you the worst of all 43 Presidents
And that definitely leaves me looking forward to the new album, too. Also in music news, Optik Records is disbanding and the new Prinz Pi will have major label distribution - I'll vote favorably on both counts despite some concerns. (via hiphop.de and mzee.com)
The newest Uniwatch features this fantastic photo. It also reminds us that there was a time when the Pirates didn't just give away their talent for free, and actually aspired to - and succeeded in - winning games.
Then there is this article, which is one more example of Bush's blah blah but inactive attitude to human rights (remember when he made Darfur his thing?) but also shows that even those we consider too barbaric to be part of society learn: After Rwanda and Srebrenica, you better believe these fighters know what they're doing: By testing the international response to killing UN peacekeepers, they can now see nothing will be done against them regardless of their actions. As in the aforementioned examples, I believe this is a prelude a new and larger campaign of ethnic cleansing and/or genocide. I hope I'm wrong, but history suggests the opposite.
And finally, a piece that illustrates how the corporatization of our society negatively affects long term policy and undermines ethics in favor of profit. Another good example is the IOC, now backing down from any last claims on journalistic freedom and human rights originally conceded by China in order to win the 2008 games.

That's all for now, just thought I'd leave a short one to remember me by.

No comments: